Sunday, April 25, 2010

Handmade vacation-esq goodies for a worthy cause


One of my favourite things to do while on vacation is to browse through local shops and take a peek at what the local artisans are creating. And since I may not have a chance to escape the dreariness that is Canada’s winter season, I’ll just trick myself into thinking I’m on holidays with a spray tan and couple purchases from buildanest.com.

Nest provides women in third-world countries with interest-free loans to start their own craft-based businesses and become self sufficient. With their loans the women can buy supplies, gain training, or rent space. Instead of repaying their Nest loans with cash, the women are asked to provide a few of their handmade products to be sold on the site - a term Nest calls ‘microbartering’.

I’m a sucker for bags, so I’ll be adding this pretty little patchwork sac made by a loan recipient to my bday wish list ;)

Take a gander through the ‘e-market’ for your own one-of-a-kind find!

No comments:

Post a Comment