Sunday, April 25, 2010

Handmade paper beads


kail - please take note, this might be a great way for you to earn some extra cords!

Last time I was in Nicaragua I was lucky enough to nab an over-priced paper bead necklace from a local gift shop (unfortunately for my wallet the San Juan Rasta’s have yet to tap into this segment of the handmade jewellery market). Although 200 cords was way more than I had ever expected to spend on nica jewelry, I’m always prepared to splurge on something unique. Made from old magazines, no two paper beads are exactly the same and when strung together they create an interesting one-of-a-kind piece.

You can attempt to make your own paper beads by following these steps or you can help support a group of women in Uganda by purchasing a package of handmade beads (both options are equally satisfying).

Needless to say, I’ve found my next rainy afternoon project.

No comments:

Post a Comment